8th July, 2010
A man, who claimed to be in possession of bomb threw 2010 World Cup fans into panic at the Fan Fest in Cape Town, South Africa yesterday.
The police quickly moved in to effect the arrest of the man.
Cape Town Police told reporters yesterday that they have arrested the man for claiming to be in possession of a bomb.
â€œThe suspect mentioned to the security guard that he has a bomb in his possession,â€ said Captain Ezra October. â€œThe allegation made was investigated and proved to be not true.â€
He said the 36-year-old man had entered the Grand Parade Fan Fest on Tuesday night and refused to be searched by security.
He was arrested and appeared in the Cape Town Magistrateâ€™s Court yesterday, on charges of contravening the Explosives Act.
Meanwhile, Argentine media put the death of a football fan from a heart attack at the World Cup in South Africa down to an outbreak of hooliganism.
Luis Forlenza, 57, died in Cape Town on Tuesday, two days after being admitted to hospital in the hours following Argentinaâ€™s quarterfinal loss to Germany.
The exact circumstances of his death remain unclear and while the Argentine embassy told AFP Forlenza had died of a heart attack, newspaper Clarin indicated that â€œhe was attacked by supporters of (Argentine club) Independiente.â€
La Nacion newspaper reported: â€œLuis Forlenza died from a cardiac problem after being attacked by Independiente supporters.â€
The report added, however, that two of his friends had said only that they had been assaulted by two â€œstrangersâ€ without mention of any club affiliation.
There was controversy ahead of the tournament amid reports that about 30 â€œbarras bravasâ€ or hooligans known to Argentine police had travelled to South Africa.
In all, about 300 hooligans were believed to have made the trip despite Buenos Aires authorities issuing in advance the names of 800 potential trouble-makers so that South African authorities would be forewarned.
In all, 18 Argentine fans were expelled, 12 others refused entry and 32 went home voluntarily.
Since 1924, 241 people have died in football-related violence in Argentina, according to the Save Football pressure group.