13 Die Of Gastro-Enteritis in Ebonyi

pmnews-placeholder

An outbreak of gastro-enteritis in parts of Ebonyi has killed 13 people, the state’s  Commisioner for Health and Environment, Dr Sunday Nwangele, has announced.

Nwangele who made the announcement in Abakaliki yesterday said one person was confirmed  dead at Edomia in Ebonyi Local Government Area of the state.

He said that six persons were also killed at Ishielu in Ishielu Local Government Area  while additional six persons were confirmed dead at Eka and Oshiegbe Community in Ezza  North Local Government Area.

Nwangele said the victims were rushed to various health centres for treatment, adding  that “those admitted were treated”.

He said the government through the Ministry of Health had sent a rapid response team to  the areas where the disease was reported.

Related News

“We have received a consignment of infusion and oral re-hydration salt ( UNICEF Solution)  and distributed them to all hospitals to curb the spread of the disease,” he said.

The Commissioner said that monitoring vehicles had been distributed to community control  teams, environmental health officers for enlightenment and control of the disease.

“The disease can be controlled through washing of hands after using the toilet, avoiding  indiscriminate disposal of faeces and washing of food items,” he said.

Commenting on the issue, Mrs Josephine Elechi, Wife of the Governor of Ebonyi, urged  people to clean their environment to control the disease.