N964m Suit Slammed On MTN Communication


A limited liability company, Private Networks Nigeria Limited, operating a  telecommunication and value added business, has slammed a N964,888,985.78 suit on  MTN Communication Nigeria Limited, over a breach of contract.

Joined as co-respondents are 56 companies and individuals who have supplied diesel  to MTN through the plaintiff but who have not been paid.

In a statement of claim filed before a Lagos High Court by Barrister Olujumobi  Orioye from the law firm of Ade Oyebanji, it was alleged that on 1 February, 2008,  the plaintiff entered into a site integrated maintenance service agreement for the  maintenance of more than 1,000 MTN sites for a period of two years.

On the assumption that each of the sites were connected to the national grid of the  Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) and power supply by the public power supply  to MTN sites was 25 per cent and the remaining 75 per cent was to be by alternative  power source.

However, a joint audit of the sites confirmed that 400 were wrongly classified and  by April 2010, the 56 defendants who supplied diesel at the various MTN sites, on  behalf of the plaintiff, had started agitating for payment, while many others  resorted to the use of police, EFCC officials and National Union of Petroleum and  National Gas Workers Union top shots, to harass officials of the plaintiff.

Related News

In the June this year, policemen from Special Fraud Unit arrested two members of  staff of the plaintiff and aside this, his workers also disrupted his business.

The direct consequences of failure, neglect and refusal of MTN Communication Company  to pay the plaintiff has been responsible for the non payment of the suppliers of  diesel to the company’s sites.

In view of this, the plaintiff is urging the court to direct MTN to pay forthwith  the outstanding sum of N964,888,985.78 to be disbursed to the suppliers.

The plaintiff also wants the court to restrain the defendants from harassing and  intimidating on matters connected with the supply of diesel by the 56 defendants for  the use of MTN Communication base stations.

  Copyright protected by Digiprove © 2010 P.M.News

Load more