BREAKING: Suspect shot dead inside Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Secure Perimeter named

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
Sports

We Have Great Plan For Zone 3

Muktar A. Khaleh is the President of FIBA-Africa Zone-3. Malone, as he is popularly  called, is also the first Vice President of Nigeria Basketball Federation, NBBF. He  spoke with WALE JOSEPH about the just concluded FIBA-Africa Zone 3 Club Women  Champions’ Cup qualifiers.

The FIBA-Africa Zone 3 Club Women Champions’ Cup qualifiers have just ended, what is  your impression about the qualifiers?
Kano State has proven they are a good host, they have made their country (Nigeria)  proud. We are determined to succeed in zone 3. We played  only two  games, the first  game on Friday and the other  one yesterday, with First Bank Basketball club winning  both games against Sunshine Angels of Akure. They will, alongside CAS 2 Basketball  club that also won both games in Cote d’Ivoire against ABC Basketball club, will  represent the zone in the forthcoming FIBA-Africa Champions club championship for  women.

Why was it that only two teams competed in Kano State?
We could not find a sponsor for the qualifiers in time and five clubs had registered  for the zonal elimination. There were three from Nigeria and two from Cote d’Ivoire,  but none of them was ready to sponsor the qualifiers. We got a letter from  FIBA-Africa which stated that if we did not hold the qualifiers, the zone will not  be represented in the finals of the Women’s Club this year. Don’t forget that First  Bank Basketball club of Lagos are the defending champions, which means they would  not be able to defend their title. Therefore, we decided to go all out to look for  sponsorship from individuals and corporate organisations. Luckily for us, some  individuals and First Bank PLC came to our rescue. Knowing that the finals of the  main FIB-Africa Championship will kick off on 19 of this month in Tunisia, there was  no time for us to bring all the teams to one venue for the qualifiers due to  logistics.
If we decided to stage the qualifiers in Cote d’Ivoire, Nigerian clubs will have to  go there, come back to the country after the qualifiers, before going to Tunisia  again for the main championship.
To avoid that we decided, with the backing of FIBA-Africa, to host the qualifiers  in both countries for the clubs in each country to slug it out and come out with one  team each. Everything was done according to the  rules and regulations of  FIBA. One  of the clubs in Nigeria, First Deepwater Basketball Club, who are the Nigerian  league champions had to withdraw at the last minute due to some unforeseen  circumstances and short notice for the qualifiers.

Is it true that the loser in Kano will get a wild card ?
There is only one wild card and we have been lobbying FIBA-Africa for it. They have  promised to give it to us but I don’t know whether Ivorian teams are also  interested. I just had a meeting with the two teams from Nigeria and they have given  their words that if they are given the chance,  they will participate. If you  recall, First Bank got a  wild card last year and they were the eventual winner of  the tournament. We are going to push harder for a Nigerian team to get it. I am not  promising them, but I have been on FIBA-Africa’s neck to give us the nod.

Did First Bank PLC sponsor the qualifiers?
First Bank PLC told us that they don’t want to be regarded as the sponsor, but were  only assisting us. Oba Ikhide, the chairman of the First Bank team, told us that  it’s their company’s corporate social responsibility. We are very grateful to the  bank and other individuals that assisted us. But for their support, the zone would  have lost out. There wouldn’t have been an opportunity for them to participate in  the main finals. This would have affected their chances of playing among the best  clubs in the continent.

  Copyright protected by Digiprove © 2010 P.M.News

Comments

×