Police Launch Manhunt For Robbery Suspects

pmnews-placeholder

The police command in Borno has launched a manhunt for those behind the robbery attack on officials of Kala Balge Local Government Council.

A robbery gang on Thursday attacked the officials in Maiduguri, killing a cashier and a police constable before carting away about N4 million meant for the payment of February salary of the council’s staff.

Malam Modu Sani, a witness, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Maiduguri on Sunday that the robbery occurred at Ruwan Zafi Ward along the Gamboru Ngala highway, while the officials were on their way to the local government headquarters.

“The incident happened around 4 p.m. when some robbers, in a golf salon car and others on motorbikes intercepted the Peugeot salon car conveying the council officials to Kala Balge Local Government Area,” Sani said.

He said that the robbers trailed the officials from a bank where they had withdrawn the money before intercepting them at Ruwan Zafi where they robbed them.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Malam Lawal Abdullahi, confirmed the report, adding that the remains of the cashier and the constable had been deposited at the mortuary.

Abdullahi said that the police had already commenced investigation on the matter.

“We have not made any arrest, but we have begun a manhunt for the robbery suspects. I want to assure you that we will get them soonest.

“We are going to adopt the same methodology that we had used in apprehending the suspects involved in a similar robbery attack in Jere Local Government Area last month.”

On Feb. 3, robbers attacked the secretariat of Jere Local Government Council in Maiduguri, carting away about N4 million meant for the January workers salaries.

The Jere incident occurred when the officials of the council were conducting table payment for the workers in the afternoon.

The police arrested two paymasters in connection with the Jere robbery and charged them to court.

  Copyright protected by Digiprove © 2011 P.M.News