Two Fraudsters Remanded In Prison


Two suspected fraudsters, Aladetoyinbo Augustine Ayodeji, 35 and Obayemi Idowu Samuel, based in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State, Southwest Nigeria, have been arrested by the police in Lagos for allegedly defrauding a legal practitioner, Kate Mudiaga Erhueh of N2.4m.

The police alleged that the suspects defrauded the complainant after impersonating one Akin Akingbesote, Proprietor of First Prime Agency Nigeria Ltd., whom the complainant contacted to clear some household items for her at the port.

The suspects were said to have called the unsuspecting woman on phone that the said Akingbesote had directed her to pay N2.4 million into their account.

The woman, it was learnt, believed the callers were truly working for Akingbesote since they got her phone number and asked her to pay the money into their account. She paid and the suspects withdrew the money, shared it and escaped.

The suspects who were formerly on 39, Orishe Street, Ikeja, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria fled to Ado-Ekiti after sharing the money on 24 December, 2010.

Trouble started for them when Erhueh called Akingbesote to confirm if he had received the money in his account, Akingbesote told the complainant that he had not received any money.

The woman reported the matter to the police who arrested the suspects at their hideout in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State after two months of manhunt following a tip off.

Related News

They were arraigned before the Ebute-Metta Magistrate’s Court on a four-count charge of obtaining money under false pretence, stealing and impersonation; offences punishable under Sections 516, 419, 390(9) and 108(1) (2) of the Criminal Code, Cap. C.17, Vol. 11, Laws of Lagos State of Nigeria, 2003.

The accused pleaded not guilty to the charges and the presiding magistrate, O.O. Olatunji, granted them bail in the sum of N500,000 each with two sureties in like sum.

The magistrate also directed that one of the sureties must be a property owner with Certificate of Occupancy with receipt of tax payment to the Lagos State government and adjourned the matter till 18 April, 2011.

The accused were remanded at the Kirikiri Maximum Security Prisons when they could not fulfil the bail conditions.

—Paul Iyoghojie

  Copyright protected by Digiprove © 2011 P.M.News