13th May, 2011
Twenty suspects, accused of participating actively in one of the crisis in Jos in 2010 were granted bail on Thursday by a Jos Federal High Court.
The suspects, including a clergyman and a juvenile, were granted bail in the sum of N100, 000 each with a surety in like sum.
The trial Judge, Ambrose Allagoa, who granted the bail, said: â€œ it is unfortunate that the accused had been in detention since last yearâ€œ.
The bail was granted in the absence of the Prosecution Counsel, Mr. A. I. Madaki of the Federal Ministry of Justice.
When the case came up and it was discovered that the prosecutor was absent, the Defense Counsel, Mr. Jerry Bok, prayed the court to grant the accused persons bail.
His prayer was based on the grounds that the accused persons had spent over a year in detention.
â€œThe offences for which the suspects are being tried are bailable and I pray the court to consider granting them bail so that they can rejoin their family members,â€ Bok told the court.