SSS Clamps Down On Abductors Of Reverend Sisters


The State Security Service (SSS) in Abia has paraded five of an eight-man gang that kidnapped two Catholic reverend sisters in the state.

Rev. Sisters Chikaodi Elendu and Ogochukwu Osueke, students of Kolping Academy, Ozuabam

in Arochukwu Local Government Area of Abia, were kidnapped on April 13, 2011.

The unidentified kidnappers initially demanded for a ransom of N3 million, but later accepted to release their captives after the payment of N150,000.

They were subsequently released on April 20 following the intervention of the SSS.

The state’s Director of SSS, Mr. Mathew Obodoechi, said while parading the suspects on Thursday in Umuahia, that the hoodlums were arrested at various locations.

Obodoechi said that the SSS was working with other security agencies to curtail acts of criminality in Abia.

He appealed to the public to assist security agencies by providing information that would lead to a total clamp down on the activities of criminals in the state.

The SSS boss complained that crime had persisted in Abia because victims and family members played along with the criminals without involving security agencies.

The members of the gang included Udochukwu Peter, Peter Kalu, Kelechi Dike, Ugochukwu Nwankpa and Chisokwu Azubuike.

NAN reports that one foreign eight rounds pump action gun was recovered from the suspects.

In a confessional statement, Udochukwu Peter, said to be the gang leader, admitted that they had been terrorizing people.

He said that the group had kidnapped and robbed several people in the state, including the kidnap of Dr. Nmeregini of Ucheoma Hospital, Ebem Ohafia in Ohafia Local Government Area.

He also admitted that the group was involved in the raid on the Catholic Church, Ozu Abam.

Udochukwu, who hails from Mbaise in Imo State and a painter by profession, said he had been in the act for five years and that he was introduced into it by a friend in Aba.

Meanwhile, the SSS chief said investigations were still ongoing, while the suspects would be charged to court soon.