1st August, 2011
A portion of Aguda Market in Coker/Aguda Local Council Development Area of Lagos State was on Saturday morning razed by fire.
The fire, which started around 2 a.m., razed a building which had 106 shops and destroyed goods worth several millions of naira, before the arrival of fire fighters, who later put the fire under control.
Speaking on the incident, the Iyaloja (market leader), Alhaja Sidikat Daramola, said that the cause of the fire, which started at night when traders have gone to their respective homes, was yet unknown, but was grateful that there was no loss of lives.
Chairman of Itire/Ikate Local Council Development Area, Hakeem Bamgbola, who was at the scene of the incident before the arrival of the deputy governor, Mrs. Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire, expressed sadness and urged the traders to always ensure they put off all electrical appliances before leaving the market.
The deputy governor, who arrived later at the scene, said she would brief the governor about the incident, while commiserating with the victims and also urged them to always ensure they switch off all electrical appliances before going home.