MIkel Obi’s Father Still Missing


The mystery surrounding the missing the father of the Super Eagles and Chelsea of London’s striker, John Mikel Obi still remains unresolved four days after he disappeared.

It was reported that Michael Obi, who runs an interstate transport company, did not return home from work on Friday evening and has not been seen since. Calls to his cellphone went unanswered all of Friday, and by Saturday, the phone was no longer reachable.

Enugu Rangers captain and older brother of John Mikel Obi, Ebere Obi, confirmed the sudden disappearance of their father in Jos, northcentral Nigeria.

A visible devastated and worried Ebere told MTNFootball.com. shortly after their training in Enugu Monday morning that he was informed on phone Saturday that their father is missing.

“Yes it is true that my Dad is missing. We have not seen him since Friday when he was going home after closing from work and up till this moment we are still searching for him,” disclosed Ebere Obi.

“My older sister and brother have reported the case at the Jos Police Station.”

Related News

Ebere added: “I never knew on time until at night when I saw the missed calls of my elder sister and brother who called severally to inform me of the incident while I was sleeping and couldn’t pick the calls because the phone was on silence.

“When I now woke up around 4am Saturday morning and saw my older sister Ifioma’s text message to call her that it was urgent, I now called her and she broke the news of my Dad’s disappearance and that they haven’t seen him return from work in Jos since Friday.”

He also said that the Obi family had agreed not to tell his younger brother Mikel so as not to distract him from his club’s first Premier League match against Stoke but they informed his agent John Shittu, who told Mikel’s coach, who later broke the news to Mikel before the match.

“We didn’t want to tell Mikel but somehow we told Shittu his agent and Shittu somehow told Mikel’s new coach. The new coach now called Mikel and informed him before they left for Stoke and Mikel was really shocked.

“Mikel was already on his way to meet the team at Chelsea camp on their way to Stoke when the new coach told him of the incident on phone. So Mikel immediately called our kid brother Patrick who is staying with him and schooling in London to confirm which he did,” Ebere told MTNFootball.com.

—Jude Orji/Enugu

Load more