18th August, 2011
The Independent National Election Commission, INEC, on Thursday wielded the sledge hammer on seven political parties over non performance in the last general elections.
The electoral body in a release said the action was taken pursuant to the provisions of Section 78 (7) (ii) of the Electoral Act 2010 (as amended).
Parties affected in the de-registration exercise are as follows:
1. Democratic Alternative (DA)
2. National Action Council (NAC)
3. National Democratic Liberty Party. (NDLP)
4. Masses Movement of Nigeria (MMN)5. Nigeria Peoples Congress (NPC)
6. Nigeria Elements Progressive Party (NEPP)
7. National Unity Party (NUP)
INEC further stated that the affected political parties have been notified and barred from engaging in any electoral activities including but not limited to canvassing for seats in any electoral process.
Consequently, the Certificates of Registration earlier issued to these parties had been withdrawn.
By Nnamdi Felix / Abuja