Fire Razes Building, Renders 52 Homeless


More than 52 persons, including children and women were rendered homeless in Lagos by a fire that razed down over eight apartments containing both four, three and two bedrooms flats in Jibowu, Yaba, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria.

The fire which started at about 12.30 p.m at 3, Alhaji Mudashiru Awe Street, opposite West African Examination Council, WAEC, office, Yaba, destroyed household items worth millions of naira but no life was lost.

The occupants of the building were said to have all gone to work when the fire happened.

The cause of the fire could not be immediately ascertained but one of the Landlord’s daughters, said there was power outage when she left home for work, adding; “When I came back, I learnt, it was shortly after the NEPA restored power that people raised alarm about the fire.

One of the tenants confirmed that it was after the NEPA restored power, people saw tick smokes billowing from the house and then raised alarm. He said he was called back from his office to meet that all his properties had been destroyed.

One of the officers of the Lagos State Fire Service from Sari Iganmu branch who came to put out the fire said an electricity spark might have caused the incident.

The officer said his team responded to a call after an order from the headquarters.

A source said the fire was first noticed by a woman shopowner, who alerted other shopowners and neighbours who tried in vein to put out the fire, shortly after which the Yabatech fire fighters came but could not do much.

The Lagos State Fire Service men were said to have come later with more tankers and stopped the fire.

An official of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, Mr. Awodimila Adedeji, who confirmed the incident, advised Nigerians to always switch off all electrical and electronic appliances before leaving home.

Adedeji warned against indiscriminate use of inflammables, which he said, could cause fire and destroy lives and property.

— Ekene Obidike

Load more