20th October, 2011
When the atmosphere decided to shed some weight on Tuesday evening, many had thought it would be as usual, at least since the last flood that ravaged parts of Lagos State, southwest Nigeria, most residents had thought that such an occurrence would never happen again within the year.
But this was not the case with the people of Agbado/Oke-Odo Local Council Development Area of the state. The flood not only destroyed properties within the LCDA, it swept away three people.
While it was light shower in some areas of the state, it was a heavy one at the suberu-Oje, Oke-Abiye and Sanni Agbesinga areas of the LCDA. The three victims of the flood who are yet to be found either alive or dead included an Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) youth leader in the area, who is popularly known as Nash. A 35-year old, Nurudeen Opeyemi, was among the three who lost their lives.
Nash, as it was learnt, was reportedly swept of atop his motorcycle while Opeyemi was said to have missed his steps as he tried to cross a gutter. Within a flash, he was gone with the flood.
The Baale of Suberu Oje, Chief Subair, also explained that another boy, whose name he did not give, was also swept away while properties worth millions of naira were destroyed.
He was corroborated by a community leader in the area, Alhaji Mamud Ajani, who lamented that the flood wrecked serious havoc and that a preliminary report and pictures had been sent to the state government for prompt action.
While the Baale is calling on the Lagos State Government, through the Ministry of the Environment, to quickly come to the aid of the people and rescue them from their plight, it was gathered that youths in the area protested after the rains abated and vowed to disrupt the forthcoming Local Government election if the government did not do anything to save the situation. The protest went on into yesterday.
They carried out the protest at the Oge caso bus stop within the LCDA as according to them, a drainage which was constructed in the area, has been left uncovered since the last four years and that so far, it has killed not less than five people.
When contacted, the Supervisor for Works, Agbado Oke-Odo LCDA, Mr. Aderemi Adeyemo, said the council would move in to access the level of damage to properties and loss of lives.
â€œWe will move in to access the impact of the flood and contact the Ministry of the Environment to seek assistance of the government for immediate intervention and solution to environmental degradation in the area,â€ he said.