Fire Guts Bank


Business activities came to an abrupt end today at the Aguda, Surulere, Lagos branch of a new generation bank, following an early morning fire which damaged part of its building.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that four vehicles and four units of air conditioners were also destroyed in the fire suspected to have been caused by a malfunctioning generator.

A worker of the bank told NAN that the fire started around 7a.m. as “we were busy preparing for our daily activities when one of the security guards alerted us of the fire, saying he needed a fire extinguisher.

Related News

“When we realised that the fire was getting out of control, we got more fire extinguishers but, unfortunately, we were unable to put off the fire and so we called the Lagos State Fire Service and they arrived promptly.”

The bank worker who pleaded anonymity, added that the fire was put off by the firemen with the assistance of residents of the area.

NAN reports that officials of the Lagos State Transport Management Authority (LASTMA), and policemen were at the scene to control traffic and secure the premises, while customers were directed to other branches of the bank.

Load more