Fire Guts Students' Hostel

pmnews-placeholder

Barely few days after the Maths Department block of the Faculty of Science, University of Lagos was gutted by fire, an off-campus hostel of some students of the Auchi Polytechnic, Edo State, has also been razed by fire.

Located at Sabo along Iyakpi Road, the building was gutted by fire on Saturday. The inferno destroyed properties worth millions of naira. Lost to the fire were computer sets, students’ files (which include school receipts and some original certificates), electronics and money among other valuables.

Sunday Edhosa, a student and resident of the building who spoke with Campus Square blamed the fire incident on a surge in the public electricity supply by the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN).

“Immediately power was restored, we heard a spark from one of the rooms and before we knew what was happening, the fire had spread round the house. We all ran for safety and couldn’t save any valuable,” Sunday said.

Related News

Campus Square gathered that the building would not have been razed if most of the occupants had not travelled for weekend holidays.

It was a similar situation at the University of Lagos last week Tuesday. Though, the cause of the fire could not be ascertained, it generated panic among students and the university staff. It took the prompt intervention of fire fighters to prevent the fire from spreading.

While some said the fire could have started from a melted cable, others suggested that it could be due to a surge in electricity supply.

But a staff of the school, who did not want to be named, said: “It was just a minor thing. Everything is under control. No cause for alarm. Nobody is sure of what actually caused the fire, but the good news is that everything is under control.”

Load more