16th April, 2012
The English Football Association, FA has stressed its desire to introduce goal-line technology as quickly as possible.
Chelsea’s ‘ghost goal’ in the 5-1 demolition of Tottenham sparked renewed calls for action to be taken to cut errors made by match officials.
Juan Mata’s second-half strike was allowed to stand by referee Martin Atkinson but TV replays showed the Spaniard’s strike did NOT cross the line at Wembley.
FIFA officials are to start final tests on two goal-line technology systems later this month and a meeting of the International FA Board (IFAB) on 2 July will decide whether to give the green light to either or both systems.
The FA, who has one of the eight IFAB votes, has supported goal-line technology for years and are hopeful it will be introduced.
An official statement today said: “The FA has led the calls at IFAB for the introduction of goal-line technology for over a decade.
“We reiterate our desire to see it introduced as soon as possible. No other single body has called as strongly for its introduction as the FA.
“The FA is not responsible for the introduction of goal-line technology in isolation and awaits the outcome of the next IFAB meeting on 2 July.”
The systems being tested are camera-based. One has been developed by Hawk-Eye, the British company bought out by Sony last year, and GoalRef, a German-Danish firm who have a chip in the ball monitored by magnetic fields in the goal.
A FIFA spokesman said: “The latest planning meeting for test phase two was held on Friday. “The second phase of tests will commence before end of April.” and will continue throughout May.”