8th June, 2012
Striker Emmanuel Adebayor, who spent this season on loan from Manchester City to Tottenham Hotspur, will once again play no part in Togo’s 2014 World Cup qualifier against DR Congo in Kinshasa on Sunday.
Adebayor had initially been included in French coach Didier Six’s squad for the double header against Libya, last weekend, and DR Congo.
However, he did not feature in the 1-1 draw with the Libyans in Lome and the Togolese Football Federation (FTF) told AFP they have had no contact with the player since.
“He has not contacted us, despite the fact that we had been in discussions with him for several weeks,” an FTF official said.
“We are still negotiating to try and get him to return to the squad, because his teammates need him to be there.”
Adebayor came out of international retirement last November after quitting in January 2010 following a terrorist attack on the Togo team bus at the Africa Cup of Nations in the Angolan enclave of Cabinda.
Two members of the Togolese delegation were killed in the attack by Cabindan separatists, leading the Sparrow Hawks to pull out of the tournament.