BREAKING: Suspect shot dead inside Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Secure Perimeter named

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
News

Killings: HRW Slams Nigeria’s security agencies, Boko Haram

Eromosele Ebhomele

The Human Rights Watch (HRW) has blamed the Nigerian security agencies and the Boko Haram sect for the escalation of violence in the country saying their extra-judicial activities have fuelled the country’s insecurity in recent times.

In a report released Thursday, the international organisation further said the alleged abuses of the Nigerian security agents contravened international human rights law and could also constitute crimes against humanity.

It urged the Nigerian government to swiftly bring to justice the Boko Haram members and security agents who have committed these serious crimes.

The 98-page report, “Spiraling Violence: Boko Haram Attacks and Security Force Abuses in Nigeria,” details atrocities for which Boko Haram has claimed responsibility adding that 2,800 lives have so far been lost since 2009 when the sect first struck.

The rights group said in the first nine months of 2012 alone, more than 815 people died in some 275 suspected attacks by the group.

It said the figure surpassed all the attacks and figures of casualties for 2010 and 2011 combined.

According to Daniel Bekele, Africa Director at Human Rights Watch, who delivered the report, “the unlawful killing by both Boko Haram and Nigerian security forces only grows worse; both sides need to halt this downward spiral.

“Nigeria’s government should swiftly bring to justice the Boko Haram members and security agents who have committed these serious crimes.”

Though the report frowned at the activities of the Boko Haram, which has claimed responsibility for several attacks in the country, it stressed that widespread poverty, corruption, police abuse, and longstanding impunity for a range of crimes have created a fertile ground for violent militancy in the country.

A five-day clash between the group and security forces left more than 800 people dead in July 2009 and precipitated further violence just as the HRW said that from media reports it monitored, at least 211 police officers have been killed in different attacks on police stations.

The report, which includes a photo essay and based on field research in Nigeria between July 2010 and July 2012, and the continuous monitoring of media reports of Boko Haram attacks and statements since 2009, lamented that many of the suspected Boko Haram members arrested by the country’s security agents have been held incommunicado without charge or trial for months or even years.

In some cases, these suspects have been detained in inhuman conditions and subjected to physical abuse or death while others continue to languish in detention.

“Nigeria’s government has a responsibility to protect its citizens from violence, but also to respect international human rights law instead of abusive tactics that only add to the toll,” Human Rights Watch said.

To arrive at the report, the organisation’s researchers interviewed 135 people, including 91 witnesses and victims of Boko Haram violence.

They also interviewed victims of abuse by security forces, lawyers, civil society leaders, government officials, and senior military and other law enforcement officers.
Sent from my BlackBerry® Smartphone, from Etisalat. Enjoy high speed internet service with Etisalat easy net, available at all our experience centres

Comments

×