Police Release Father Of Missing 30-Minute-old Baby


The Police in Umuahia, the Abia capital, said they have begun investigating the possible involvement of the father of a new born baby snatched inside a maternity Labour Room at Nkwoegwu, a suburb of Umuahia.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the baby was snatched barely 30 minutes after birth on Nov. 13, 2012.

Mr Jonathan Amaechi, the acting Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Abia Command, told journalists in Umuahia that they were working on the possible involvement of the father of the baby in the crime.

The father, Mr Clifford Ihezukwu, a 41-year- old radio/television technician, had told newsmen on Saturday (Nov. 17) that gunmen stormed a maternity labour room and picked up his 30-minute-old son.

Amaechi said that preliminary investigation revealed that the father of the baby came to the maternity ward but did not bother to see the wife after he was informed that she had delivered.

He said that the police arrested and interrogated the suspect before releasing him on bail.

He said that the Police was informed that as soon as the father of the baby was told that his wife had delivered, he frowned his face and left without bothering to see them.

Related News

“It was further gathered that 15 minutes after he left the maternity ward, the gunmen struck and took away the baby, not minding that it was still dripping with blood.

“The story before us is that one Eberechi Ihezukwu, at about 7.30 p.m. on Tuesday, November 13, 2012, showed signs of labour and told the husband that she was going to have a baby and they left for the hospital..

“At the maternity, she was taken to the Labour Room where she safely had her baby; surprisingly nobody knew why her husband did not see the wife before he left.

“Not quite 15 minutes later, two gunmen came and asked of the whereabouts of Eberechi and went straight to the Labour Room where she was lying and snatched the baby who was still covered in blood,” he said.

The acting PPRO said that the state CID was investigating the matter “to find out who is saying the truth”.

The acting PPRO also denied reports that police collected N15,500 as bail from Ihezukwu, adding the he was only questioned and released.

Meanwhile, the Nkwoegwu area where the incident happened has been calm.