US abandons embattled CAR leader Bozize
The United States evacuated its embassy in the Central African Republic on Thursday and temporarily halted its operations, amid security fears after rebels seized large swathes of the country.
The State Department said it had not broken off diplomatic ties with the beleaguered government in Bangui, but warned US citizens not to travel to the mineral-rich but chronically unstable country while unrest continues.
The closure of the embassy came on the heels of the appeal by the CAR’s embattled President Francois Bozize 
Former colonial power France however, vowed it would not intervene in the country, which has a chequered history of coups and brutal rule.
The United Nations is pulling out its staff and the United States has warned its citizens to leave in the face of the deteriorating security situation, as rebel fighters close in on Bangui, creating alarm among residents.
“We ask our French cousins and the United States of America, the great powers, to help us to push back the rebels… to allow for dialogue in Libreville to resolve the current crisis,” Bozize told thousands of supporters at a rally in Bangui.
“There is no question of allowing them to kill Central Africans, of letting them destroy houses and pillage, and holding a knife to our throats to demand dialogue,” said Bozize, who himself seized power in a coup in 2003.
“It is a plot against the Central African Republic, a plot against its people.”
Organisers said 10,000 government supporters converged on central Bangui which a rally leader described as “our Tahrir Square”.
The protesters blew whistles and waved banners reading “Say No to war” and “No to rebellions”.
The rebel coalition known as Seleka — which means “alliance” in the country’s Sango language — has seized four regional capitals, including a diamond mining hub, since its fighters took up arms on December 10.
While it says it has no plans to move on the capital, a statement last week announcing it had suspended its advance was followed within a day by news of further rebel victories.
President Francois Hollande said Thursday France would not use its troops stationed in the country to interfere in the conflict.
“If we are present, it is not to protect a regime, it is to protect our nationals and our interests, and in no way to intervene in the internal affairs of a country,” Hollande said. “Those days are gone.”
A French foreign ministry spokesman nevertheless condemned “the continued hostility by the rebel groups” and said the crisis should be resolved through dialogue.
On Wednesday, demonstrators angry at France’s failure to intervene against the rebel alliance tore down the flag at its embassy in Bangui and broke windows at the building.
One French national in Bangui said Thursday the population feared looting and a breakdown of order.
Comments