BREAKING: Trump raises Global Tariffs to 15% after Supreme Court Setback

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
News

Jonathan vows to improve security in Nigeria

Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan remains optimistic that his government would find a panacea to the increasing wave of terrorism and palpable insecurity, worsened by the recent killing of seven foreign workers of SETRACO.

At a meeting in Abuja today with a 45-man business leaders from the United States, Jonathan Tuesday gave the assurance that his administration will continue to do everything possible to enhance the security of lives and investments in Nigeria.

He gave the assurance when he met a 45-member trade delegation from the United States of America.

His soothing words came same day that Nigeria’s former leader, Olusegun Obasanjo counselled Jonathan to seek assistance from development partners to tackle insecurity in the country.

Addressing the opening ceremony of the Nigeria Maritime Expo (NIMAREX) 2013 in Lagos, Obasanjo said that if the government found it difficult to find solution to national security problems, it should seek outside help.

“Let me appeal to all concerned, especially the Federal Government and littoral states, to take measures to stem the tide of piracy in coastal waters and beyond.

“Boko Haram in the north, kidnapping in the centre and south, oil theft in the Niger Delta and piracy in the west, Nigeria cannot continue this way,” the former president said.

But at his meeting with America’s businessmen, President Jonathan reaffirmed that the Federal Government was working very hard to overcome Nigeria’s current security challenges, saying that an intensive effort was underway to curb terrorism and other criminal acts such as kidnapping and hostage taking.

The President also assured the delegation which was led by the President and CEO of the Corporate Council on Africa, Mr. Steve Hayes and the Executive Vice President of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, Ms. Mimi Alemayehou that his administration will continue to empower the private sector to serve as the main drivers of the federal government’s agenda for national economic growth and development.

President Jonathan told company executives on the delegation with interests in aviation, power, food processing, ICT, construction, housing, textiles, infrastructure and finance that they could be very confident of the safety of their present and future investments in Nigeria as the country already had one of the most liberal legal regimes for the movement of capital and profits.

“We welcome your interest and commitment to Nigeria. You are coming at a time when sectors previously dominated by government monopolies are being opened up to the private sector because we fully believe that that is the best way forward and the best way to create greater efficiency, employment and economic prosperity.

“You all know Nigeria’s potentials. With its very huge market and the conducive investment climate we are working hard to foster, it is a country where your companies can do very fruitful business and I assure you of the full encouragement and support of the Federal Government for your investments,” the President told the delegation.

The co-leader of the delegation, Mr. Hayes thanked President Jonathan for his efforts to promote greater trade and economic cooperation between Nigeria and the United States.

He assured President Jonathan that the Corporate Council on Africa and its members fully recognized Nigeria’s immense economic potentials and will do their best to support his agenda for national transformation.

Ms. Alemayehou told the President that the delegation had had very fruitful interactions with members of the Federal Executive Council, including the Ministers of Works, Housing, Transport, Agriculture and Communications Technology. She assured President Jonathan that Nigeria will get more investments from the American private sector.

Comments

×