15th May, 2013
At least 38 persons died and 206 were injured in various accidents in Ondo State, southwest Nigeria, in the first quarter of 2013.
The Sector Commander of Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Mrs Mary Wakawa told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Akure that the accidents occurred between January and March.
Wakawa noted that the number of deaths occurred in 64 accidents which involved many vehicles, such as private, commercial and travellers from other states.
“This shows a reduction in the number of accidents recorded in the same period in 2012 in the state where, 77 people died and 423 were injured.”
Wakawa also said that at least 275 people who were involved in various traffic crime offences had been prosecuted in the first quarter of 2013.
The sector commander expressed concern over the road accidents in the state in spite of the awareness by the Corps on the rules and regulations that guide the use of the road.
She attributed the cause of accidents to over speeding, over loading, wrong over-taking and dangerous driving by the motorists in the state and travellers from other states.
Wakawa appealed to motorists to obey traffic signs and check the road worthiness of their vehicles before embarking on any journey.