Hospital Rehabilitates 40,000 Psychiatric Patients

pmnews-placeholder

The Federal Neuro Psychiatric Hospital (FNPH) Maiduguri says it has successfully rehabilitated 40,000 psychiatric patients in the last 10 years.

Alhaji Sale Muhammad, the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the hospital, announced this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Maiduguri on Friday.

Muhammad said that 90 per cent of the patients were male while the rest 10 per cent were female, adding that most of the patients were mainly youths affected by drug abuse.

The image maker, who expressed concern at the high rate of drug abuse among youths in the state, urged parents and guardians to monitor their children and wards, to prevent them from drug abuse.

“Parents should always bring their children to the hospital whenever they see a suspicious sign of drug abuse in them.

Related News

“As it is said, prevention is better than cure,’’ he said.

He said that the hospital was collaborating with NDLEA, NAFDAC, the police and other government agencies to sensitise the communities to the dangers of drug abuse.

Muhammad said that the hospital also exposed the youths to various skill acquisition and vocational training, to make them acquire entrepreneurial skills and trades, to keep them away from illicit activities.

Muhammad said that the trades included carpentry, shoe-making and tailoring among men while the female patients were exposed to bead making, knitting and hair dressing.

He added that the move was to make the youth play active role in the socio-economic development of the country.