127 killed in Central Africa’s fresh sectarian violence
At least 127 people have been killed and more than 100 wounded in the Central African Republic over the past three days, including in a new outbreak of sectarian violence in the northwest, the country’s Red Cross office said Monday.
“In Bozoum, in the northwest, the Central African Red Cross has counted 97 dead, 107 wounded and 14,000 displaced since Friday,” the head of the group’s local branch, Antoine Mbaobogo, told AFP, saying the victims were mainly civilians.
Mbaobogo said the victims in Bozoum had died during fighting between Christian militia groups known as “anti-balaka” (anti-machete) and ex-members of banned rebel coalition Seleka, a mostly Muslim group that overthrew the country’s government in March.
“Clashes (erupted) between the anti-balakas and Seleka, and as always it’s civilians who are the victims,” said Mbaobogo.
He said at least 912 houses had also been burnt.
Mbaobogo said the fighting had broken out after residents gathered in the streets to “show their joy” following the resignation of president Michel Djotodia, the Seleka leader whom the rebel group had installed as the country’s first Muslim president.
After facing international accusations of doing nothing to stop the sectarian bloodshed that erupted after he seized power, Djotodia stepped down on Friday under pressure from regional African leaders.
Mbaobogo also said 25 bodies had been collected in the capital, Bangui, and five in M’Bata, in the southwest, where celebrations after Djotodia’s resignation also descended into Christian-Muslim clashes.
Comments