BREAKING: Trump raises Global Tariffs to 15% after Supreme Court Setback

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
News

9 sleeping kids, 4 others killed by gunmen in Plateau state

Nine children, and four adults were killed by gunmen early today, the latest casualties of the incessant violence in Plateau state, in central Nigeria.

They were all killed in a raid on Rapyem village in Barkin Ladi local council area.

“The attack took place around 1:00 am (0000 GMT) and 13 people were killed in their sleep” , said Habila Dung, administrator of the coumcil.

He described the raid as “barbaric”.

It was not clear who carried out the latest attack in Barkin Ladi, a hotspot in the protracted conflict, between Fulani herdsmen and Berom people, the indigenes.

Police spokeswoman Felicia Anslem said it was an isolated incident and that calm had been restored, adding that police were working to verify the casualty figure.

The US-based Council on Foreign Relations, which tracks unrest in central Nigeria, says that between May 29, 2011 and January 31, 2012 there were 1,131 deaths in Plateau related to social, economic or religious grievances.

The conflict has been running since roughly 2001, with occasional eruptions that have forced the military to take extraordinary measures to restore calm.

Several peace processes have failed to stop the violence, with deep mistrust persisting between the state’s politicians and the security forces.

Berom leaders have accused the military of supporting and at times cooperating with the Fulani but such allegations have not been proven.

Comments

×