BREAKING: FCT: APC floors rivals in Kuje, wins chairmanship election

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
Metro

Corruption investigations against Soludo, Oduah not closed – EFCC

Ex-EFCC Boss: Ibrahim Lamorde
EFCC Boss: Ibrahim Lamorde
EFCC Boss: Ibrahim Lamorde

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC said on Monday that investigation of various corrupt allegations against former Minister of Aviation, Stella Oduah, and former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Charles Soludo, is still ongoing.

The anti-corruption agency also said former Managing Director of Nigeria Security, Minting and Printing Company, Ehidiamhem Okoyomon, has been indicted for corruption and would arraigned in court in a few weeks.

Wilson Uwujaren, spokesperson for EFCC who revealed this at a press briefing in Abuja said the case against Soludo, which borders on bribery and corruption has not been closed, contrary to speculation in the media.

Similarly, Oduah was fired from the cabinet of President Goodluck Jonathan late last year following controversies over her alleged purchase of two BMW bullet proof cars worth N255 million.

She was invited by the EFCC early this year for questioning over the same allegations.

The EFFC spokesperson said the fact that the Minister was invited for questioning does not necessarily mean that he or she will be arraigned in court, noting that, “an accused is innocent until found guilty by the court, as a result we cannot convict, until the court says so.”

“Her matter is not closed. She has been invited, officials of major parastatals in that ministry have also been invited to make statements. The investigation has reached an advanced stage. In a few weeks or months you will get to hear the details of our findings,” Uwujaren said.

He explained that EFFC has recovered a total of N4.3bn so far through its investigations of oil subsidy scam, while over 17 oil marketers are undergoing trial for obtaining subsidy from the federal government without supplying products.

“17 oil marketers are currently undergoing trial and over 40 marketers, if their companies are added. They are undergoing trial for obtaining subsidy from the federal government without supplying products. We believe they will be sent to court soon.

“The exact figure recovered from oil subsidy theft is N4.3bn just as stated by the EFCC’s Chairman, Ibrahim Lamorde,” he explained.

On the issue of oil theft in the Niger Delta, Uwujaren said the Commission recovered 11 vessels and 16 trucks between January 2013 and June 2014, from suspected oil thieves in Niger Delta.

“The Commission from January 2013 till date investigated 21 cases of crude oil theft. 11 tanker vessels and 16 tanker trucks were recovered, while 81 suspects have been charged to court.”

The commission has also declared two suspects in the oil subsidy scam, Seun Ogunbambo, Managing Director, Fargo Energy Limited, and one Amzat Mahmood, an international petroleum trader, wanted.

“Ogunbambo, who was accused of stealing N979.6 million and N4.5billion in bogus subsidy claim, had absconded from trial.

“Mahmood, an international oil trader, is also wanted because of the involvement of his company, Nimex Petroleum Limited, in the case for which three suspects are standing trial,” he said.

Uwujaren noted that the company was accused of receiving N1.3 billion as subsidy for products it never supplied.

The EFCC spokesperson therefore urged anyone with information on the whereabouts of the accused persons to report to the EFCC headquarters or its zonal offices across the country.

Uwujuaren also revealed that the Commission had also recorded a landmark achievement in the effort to stamp out Internet fraud in the country.

“One Daniel Okpara defrauded people through a Facebook account he opened in the name of the Executive Chairman of EFCC, Ibrahim Lamorde. He lured his victims by promising jobs with the Commission. As we speak, he is in prison, serving a three year jail term,” he said.

Comments

×