FG not involved in plan to assassinate Buhari – Police IG

Suleiman Abba

Inspector-General of Police Suleiman Abba

IGP Suleiman Abba
IGP Suleiman Abba

Findings by detectives on the Kaduna bombing indicated that the Federal Government is not involved in the plan to kill retired General Muhammadu Buhari, acting Inspector General of Police, Suleiman Abba, has said.

Abba stated this on Monday shortly before holding a closed door meeting with senior police officers to strategise on how to deal with current security challenges in the country.

“Detectives constituted by the immediate past IGP conducted a very diligent investigation,” he said.

According him, the team, which included forensic experts, visited the scene of the bombing, victims in hospital and conducted interviews with Buhari and those with him.

“So far, they have come out with a finding and the finding is that the Federal Government is not involved,” he said.

Related News

Abba said the only suspect arrested in connection with the incident was being held by the military, adding that he could not say if the suspect had made any useful statement.

He said the police had arrested the suspect in two or three occasions in the past in connection with a crime he did not disclose.

It would be recalled that one of the twin bomb explosions in Kaduna on 23 July targeted Buhari, but he escaped unhurt.

Also targeted in the second explosion was a respected Islamic cleric, Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi.