26th January, 2015
The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Sunday said it would institute a legal process against the National Communications Commission (NCC) to challenge the shutdown of some of its fund raising platforms.
This was disclosed in Abuja by Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State during a meeting of the Fund Raising Directorate of the APC Presidential Campaign Organisation.
According to him, the directive to shut the platform was contained in a letter signed by the Director of Consumer Affairs, Maryam Bayi, Head of Legal and Regulatory Services Yinka Akinloye, on behalf of the NCC Executive Vice-Chairman, Dr Eugene Juwah.
Fashola alleged that in 2010, approval was given to some parties’ campaign organisations to raise funds using such platform but that the APC is being denied the same right in 2015.
“We have advised our lawyers to go to court. They are preparing the papers now. In 2010 approval was given to other presidential candidates to campaign to raise fund (using such a platform).
“The rule seems to have changed in 2015,” Fashola said.
NAN reports that the APC had raised an alarm last week on the alleged shutdown of the SMS campaign to raise funds for General Muhammadu Buhari’s campaign.