13th February, 2015
The Borno Government said it would shoulder the medical bills of all the 20 persons injured in Thursday’s suicide bomb attack in Biu, headquarters of Biu Local Government Area, in the state.
The Deputy Governor of the state, Alhaji Zannah Mustapha, said this while speaking with newsmen in Maiduguri on Friday.
Mustapha said government would also assist families of the eight persons who died in the blast.
“It is a sad development; the state government was saddened by the news of the blast.
“Gov. Kashim Shettima has directed me to proceed to Biu to take charge of affairs especially in terms of ensuring proper medical care for the victims,” he said.
Mustapha described the blast as “a desperate attempt by the Boko Haram insurgents to launch an attack on Biu”.
He said the insurgents had failed in all their previous attempts to gain entry into the town, hence they resorted to suicide bombing.
“From the information reaching me, the attack was carried out by two teenage girls.
“The girls passed through a back door to the market because it was difficult gaining access through the normal gate,” Mustapha said.
He said that his trip to Biu was to ensure proper medical treatment for those affected.
“I am leaving for Biu immediately so that we can condole those who lost their loved ones and ensure that those injured are given the best medical treatment for quick recovery,” Mustapha said.
The deputy governor also said that the Caretaker Committee Chairman of Biu Local Government had already been instructed to assist the victims before his (deputy governor’s) arrival.