INEC's Returning Officer, undergraduate son murdered in Rivers


Solomon Arase, Inspector General of Police

Okafor Ofiebor/Port Harcourt

Solomon Arase, Inspector General of Police
Solomon Arase, Inspector General of Police

Organic Chemistry lecturer, Dr Ebirien Fubara of the Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Rumuolumeni, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, southern Nigeria, and his son have been murdered.

The late Dr. Fubara was Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Returning Officer who supervised the conduct of the House Of Representatives election for Obio-Akpor Federal Constituency in the March 28 2015 National Assembly election.

They were reportedly attacked at 2 a.m. last Thursday, 10 December by unidentified assailants who stormed his residence along Dr Peter Odili road, Port Harcourt.

According an eyewitness, “the assailants gained entrance into his flat after killing his second son by hitting him with an iron object. They proceeded to attack the lecturer and his driver who lives with them in the same estate. The driver is still in a critical condition at the hospital.”

After Dr. Fubara was clubbed he slipped into coma and was rushed to hospital along with his driver but he died in the early hours of Sunday, 13 December and his body and that f his son were deposited at the Military Hospital mortuary.

Related News

The management of the university has condemned the incident.

The Registrar of the institution, Ikem Adiele, said: “Dr Fubara who was on secondment as a Commissioner in the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, RSIEC, was killed along with his son last Thursday.”

He said the campus community is shocked over the gruesome murder of the lecturer.

Adiele also called on security agencies to do everything possible to bring to justice the killers of Dr Fubara and his son.

Dr Fubara was a senior lecturer and was appointed by Governor Nyesom Wike as commissioner at Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission (RSIEC).

The motive for the dastardly act had not been established at the time of this report and no arrest had been made by the police.

Load more