Vice President Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, has stated that over one hundred Nigerians will benefit from the technology and innovation plan of President Muhammadu Buhari’s government.
Osinbajo who said Buhari’s administration is geared towards instituting a new culture of probity and accountability in governance stated that, “it’s a new day in Aso Rock”.
Nigeria’s vice president revealed FG’ tech plans while speaking today at The Platform, a public engagement forum organized by the Covenant Church led by Pastor Poju Oyemade.
Informing the forum of the Buhari presidency’s for technology and innovation, he stated that government would be establishing an Innovation Fund this year which would deploy significant resources for the aim of creating opportunities to the youth to access fund for innovation and entrepreneurship.
He highlighted other plans as follows:
– Establishment of technology innovation hubs across the country; 2 super hubs ( in Lagos and Abuja) and 6 regional hubs in the
six geo-political zones in partnership some major technology companies;
– 65,000 young Nigerians to be trained in hardware and software services and in animation;
– to create a reservoir in technology capacity that can be exported annually abroad like the case of India;
– on June 23, 2016, Federal Government would launch a Presidential Technology Innovation Initiative targeted at 50 Nigerians
engaged in innovative start-ups to be mentored by major technology innovation companies
– bursary award to 100,000 STEM undergraduates developing their interest in programming, robotic and animation technology,
in addition to deploying technology in the training of the 500,000 teachers that are expected to be employed under the social
investment of government this year,
– VP’s Office to institute a literary prize in poetry and short stories during independence anniversary to encourage field of
Prof. Osinbajo also used the occasion to implore millions of youths in the country to join the vanguard for change under “a New Tribe of Nigerians” saying “we must not blink, no shaking until we turn this country around.”
Earlier, the Vice President commended the conveners of the platform, Pastor Poju Oyemade and his team for their tenacity and unwavering belief in the nation’s development. He noted that “the Platform has through the years become a foremost opportunities for ideas and intellectual innovations in Nigeria.”