21st January, 2018
No fewer than 50 shops were burnt at the Yankifi Market in Kano on Saturday night.
The spokesman of the State Fire Service, Alhaji Saidu Mohammed, in Kano on Sunday said that the fire also razed 30 containers of fish.
He said: “We received a distress call yesterday at about 8:02 pm from a good Samaritan that there is a fire outbreak at the market.
“On receiving the information, we quickly sent our firefighting vehicle to the scene at about 8:06 pm.’’
Mohammed hinged the incident on an electric spark from a power change-over device.
He advised residents to be more careful in the way they use electrical appliances so as to forestall future fire accidents.