12th March, 2020
Dethroned Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II has dragged the Inspector General of Police, IGP, and the Director-General, Department of State Service, DSS, to court over his continued confinement in Nasarawa State.
Sanusi’s legal team filed a suit at the Federal High Court, Abuja on Thursday, seeking his release from banishment.
The former Emir’s legal team is led by Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), and the suit number is FHC/ABJ/CS/357/2020.
Sanusi was sacked from the throne on Monday, with a new emir, Aminu Ado Bayero already installed.
He was immediately placed under house arrest by armed policemen and DSS officials, who later whisked him away to Awe in Nasarawa State where he had been confined in a bungalow.
The Kano State Government had denied banishing the deposed emir.
Ibrahim Muktar, Kano State Attorney General, who spoke on Channels Television on Wednesday, said there was nowhere the Secretary to the State Government ever mentioned that the dethroned emir had been banished.
“You see, If you listen to the Secretary to the State Government when he was addressing the press on the issue of the removal of the emir from office, there was nowhere he said the emir was even banished from Kano State.
“So, the decision of the government was (that) the emir … as of Monday was removed from office and a new emir was appointed. The issue of banishment was not part of the decision of the Kano State Government,” he said.