14th May, 2020
By Kazeem Ugbodaga
The Lagos State Government on Thursday made a u-turn, saying that the Dubai-returnee Nigerian who died in Lagos was not as a result of Coronavirus.
Commissioner for Health, Akin Abayomi had said last Tuesday that a 32-year-old Nigerian who returned from Dubai had been killed by the deadly Coronavirus in Lagos.
According to Abayomi, “Another COVID-19 infection-related death involving 32-year-old, male has been recorded.
“The deceased recently returned from Dubai with severe underlying health condition.”
However, Abayomi, on Thursday made a u-turn on the man’s death, saying it was not from Coronavirus.
“I hereby inform the general public that the Nigerian who recently returned from Dubai as part of a group of returnees who were placed in a COVID-19 isolation programme in lekki, developed complications and was transferred to one of our facilities where he died.
“Because of the sudden nature of his demise and without any prior knowledge of his multiple pre-existing conditions, it was presumed to be a COVID-19 related death pending confirmation by COVID-19 Gold standard test,” he said.
The commissioner said this presumptive attribution was a precaution to ensure the safe clinical management of the patient and subsequent handling of the corpse.
“The definitive COVID-19 gold standard test has turned out to be negative for the COVID-19 infection and his death is no longer considered to have been attributable to COVID-19,” he said.