25th August, 2021
Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong has slammed 24-hour curfew on Jos North after a deadly attack left about 35 people massacred in the area.
The curfew followed growing tensions arising from the attack on Yelwa Zangam village of the Local Government where people were killed and properties destroyed.
According to Lalong, the 24-hour curfew would come into force from 4pm, on Wednesday, 25th August 2021 until further notice.
The governor, in a statement issued by Dr. Makut Simon Macham, Director of Press & Public Affairs, said the proactive decision became necessary following eminent threat to lives and properties within the Local Government Area and the need to forestall the breakdown of law and order.
“It will also enable security agencies deploy appropriately to maintain security as the search for the attackers of the villagers continues,” he said.
The governor has appealed to the citizens of Jos North to cooperate with the government by abiding to the 24-hour curfew commencing 4pm, 25th August 2021, as security agencies had been mandated to ensure that those who violated the curfew were arrested.
“Also, the 6pm to 6am curfew in Jos South and Bassa LGAs still remains in place until further notice. Only people on essential duties such as health personnel, journalists, fire service and para-military and others, are to be exempted from the curfew but should carry means of identification with them at all times,”he added.
Lalong called for calm as he is seriously grieved by the attacks.
He again sympathised with the victims, but wanted them to show restraint and allow government to handle the matter to disallow hoodlums from taking advantage of the unfortunate situation to cause mayhem and destruction in the State.