Guinea's coup leader Doumbouya faces foreign backlash

Mamady Doumbouya: leads Guinea’s coup d’etat

Mamady Doumbouya: leads Guinea's coup d'etat

Agency Reports

Coup plotters in Guinea are now facing foreign backlash as the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), the United Nations and the Nigerian Government have strongly condemned their action.

The coup staged on Sunday was led by Colonel Mamady Doumbouya, commander of special forces, set up in 2018, by ousted President Alpha Conde.

President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterrres and Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, condemned the coup in separate statements.

Guinea's President Alpha Conde with mutinous soldiers
President Alpha Conde after his arrest by Guinean coup plotters on Sunday

Onyeama said: “The Government of Nigeria strongly condemns and rejects any unconstitutional change of government.

“And therefore calls on those behind this coup to restore constitutional order without delay and protect all lives and property.”

President Akufo-Addo, chairman of ECOWAS and Nigeria’s foreign minister described the action as a clear violation of the ECOWAS Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance.

They demanded immediate return to constitutional order.

Akufo-Addo said ECOWAS demands the immediate and unconditional release of President Alpha Condé as well as others arrested.

“ECOWAS notes with great concern the recent political developments which occurred in Conakry, Republic of Guinea. She condemns with the greatest firmness this coup attempt on Sunday, September 5, 2021.

“ECOWAS demands respect for the physical integrity of the President of the Republic, the Professor Alpha Condé, and his immediate and unconditional release as well as that of all the personalities arrested

Related News

“ECOWAS reaffirms its disapproval of any unconstitutional political change. She asks the defense and security forces to remain in a posture Republican and expresses its solidarity with the Guinean people and Government,” Akufo-Addo stated.

In the first ever reaction, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned the coup d’etat in Guinea and demanded the immediate release of President Alpha Condé.

Guterres, in his twitter @antonioguterres strongly condemned the development.

“I am personally following the situation in Guinea very closely.

“I strongly condemn any takeover of the government by force of the gun and call for the immediate release of President Alpha Conde,’’ Guterres tweeted.

Similarly, African Union also condemned the coup and demanded the immediate release of President Condé.

On Sunday evening, heavy gunfire exchange was reported near the Presidential Palace in Conakry, the country’s capital.

Following the gun battles, soldiers who call themselves the National Committee for Reconciliation and Development, appeared on TV, claiming to have dissolved the Conde-led government, taking over power.

Conde’s third term Presidency had earlier sparked violent and mass protests in the country after pushing through a new constitution in March 2020 which allowed him to sidestep the country’s two-term limit.

The October 2020 election was no less contentious as the opposition accused Conde of rigging.