7th October, 2021
By Kelechi Ogunleye/Abuja
The Federal Secretariat Abuja recorded a record two fire incidents on Wednesday after workers had closed for the day.
One was an isolated fire involving an 18-seater Coaster bus that was gutted in the parking lot.
The second was a conflagration which affected the Federal Ministry of Education and the annex area of the secretariat where Zenith bank is located.
FCT Fire Service Public Relations Officer (PRO), Mr Ibrahim Muhammad, said the fire affected the registry and records, accounts, pension and variation units of the ministry.
It was reported at about 8:00pm on Wednesday.
However, men of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Fire Service were able to contain all.
Only one person was injured in the leg, Muhammad said.
“One person who probably decided to work after office hours at the secretariat was injured in the leg but there is no fatality.
“The annex area of the secretariat where Zenith bank is located was affected by the fire but the situation is currently under control with firefighters on ground,” he said.
Muhammad said that men of the fire service battled the fire.
“The fire occurred at the second floor and the cause of fire is likely from a split air conditioner but further investigation is on,” he said.
The car park fire occurred at about 5:00pm.
FCT Fire Service dismissed rumours it was caused by a generator.
Muhammad, spokesperson said it was an 18-seater Coaster bus that was gutted by fire and was the only affected.
“An 18-sitter coaster bus at the parking lot was the one on fire at the Federal Secretariat and it was probably a staff bus.
“The fire started after the close of work, and at about 5:11p.m when we were called, we turned up at the scene immediately.
“We were able to put the fire under control with the assistance of the Federal Fire Service but the bus was a write-off. We were also able to prevent the fire from spreading to other parts of the building,” he said.
Muhammad stated that no life was lost and called on FCT residents to contact the FCT fire service in case of a fire on its service hotline: 092906118.
He noted that it was necessary for all residents to save the phone number of the service in case of a fire emergency.
“We have sensitized people at the federal secretariat severally, but it’s not everyone that is serious and interested in saving our number.
“Although, we got several calls from residents at our control room regarding this fire, which is a positive attitude,” he said.