21st December, 2021
The National Universities Commission has uncovered no fewer than 66 illegal universities, satellite campuses and study centres in the country.
Executive Secretary of the Commission,Professor Abubakar Rasheed, stated this while speaking at the 11th convocation of Al-Hikmah University held in Ilorin at the weekend.
Prof. Rasheed expressed concern that all the illegal institutions, called degree mills, award certificates.
NUC on its website said the degree mills have not been licensed by the Federal Government and have, therefore, been closed down for violating the Education (National Minimum Standards etc.) Act CAP E3 Law of the Federation of Nigeria 2004.
Rasheed said that the NUC is tackling the situation headlong to discourage the illegality and ensure that reputation of tertiary education in the country is not harmed beyond remedy.
The Full List of illegal universities or Degree Mills :
The National Universities Commission (NUC) warns that the list below may not be exhaustive:
1) University of Accountancy and Management Studies, operating anywhere in Nigeria
2) Christians of Charity American University of Science & Technology, Nkpor, Anambra State or any of its other campuses
3) University of Industry, Yaba, Lagos or any of its other campuses
4) University of Applied Sciences & Management, Port Novo, Lagos – Ibadan Expressway and its Annex at 41, Ikorodu Road, Republic of Benin or any of its other campuses in Nigeria.
5) Blacksmith University, Awka or any of its other campuses
6) Volta University College, Ho, Volta Region, Ghana or any of its other campuses in Nigeria.
7) Royal University Izhia, P.O. Box 800, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State or any of its other campuses
8) Atlanta University, Anyigba, Kogi State or any of its other campuses
9) United Christian University, Macotis Campus, Imo State or any of its other campuses
10) United Nigeria University College, Okija, Anambra State or any of its other campuses
11) Samuel Ahmadu University, Makurdi, Benue State or any of its other campuses
12) UNESCO University, Ndoni, Rivers State or any of its other campuses
13) Saint Augustine’s University of Technology, Jos, Plateau State or any of its other campuses
14) The International University, Missouri, USA, Kano and Lagos International Professional College of Administration, Science and Study Centres, or any of its campuses in Nigeria.
15) Columbus University, UK operating anywhere in Nigeria
16) Tiu International University, UK operating anywhere in Nigeria
17) Pebbles University, UK operating anywhere in Nigeria`
18) London External Studies UK operating anywhere in Nigeria.
19) Pilgrims University operating anywhere in Nigeria.
20) Lobi Business School Makurdi, Benue State or any of its of campuses in Nigeria.
21) West African Christian University operating anywhere in Nigeria.
22) Bolta University College Aba or any of its campuses in Nigeria.
23) JBC Seminary Inc. (Wukari Jubilee University) Kaduna Illegal campus.
24) Westlan University, Esie, Kwara State or any of its campuses in Nigeria.
25) St. Andrews University College, Abuja or any of its campuses in Nigeria.
26) EC-Council University, USA, Ikeja Lagos Study Centre.
27) Atlas University, Ikot Udoso Uko, Uyo Akwa Ibom State or any of its campuses in Nigeria.
28) Concept College/Universities (London) Ilorin or any of its campuses in Nigeria
29) Halifax Gateway University, Ikeja or any of its campuses in purposes of NYSC, employment, and further studies. Nigeria
30) Kingdom of Christ University, Abuja or any of its campuses in Nigeria
31) Acada University, Akinlalu, Oyo State or any of its campuses in Nigeria.
32) Fifom University, Mbaise, Imo State or any of its campuses in Nigeria
33) Houdegbe North American University campuses in Nigeria.
34) Atlantic Intercontinental University, Okija, Anambra State
35) Open International University, Akure
36) Middle Belt University (North Central University), Otukpo
37) Leadway University, Ughelli, Delta State
38) Metro University, Dutse/Bwari, Abuja
39) Southend University, Ngwuro Egeru (Afam) Ndoki, Rivers State
40) Olympic University, Nsukka, Enugu State
41) Federal College of Complementary and Alternative Medicine,
42) Temple University, Abuja
43) Irish University Business School London, operating anywhere in Nigeria.
44) National University of Technology, Lafia, Nasarawa State.
45) University of Accountancy and Management Studies, Mowe,
46) University of Education, Winneba Ghana, operating anywhere in Nigeria
47) Cape Coast University, Ghana, operating anywhere in Nigeria.
48) African University Cooperative Development (AUCD), Cotonou, any of its other campuses Benin Republic, operating anywhere in Nigeria.
49) Pacific Western University, Denver, Colorado, Owerri Study campuses Centre.
50) Evangel University of America & Chudick Management its other campuses.
51) Enugu State University of Science and Technology (Gboko of its other campuses. Campus)
52) Career Light Resources Centre, Jos
53) University of West Africa, Kwali-Abuja, FCT
54) Coastal University, Iba-Oku, Akwa-Ibom State.
55) Kaduna Business School, Kaduna.
56) Royal University of Theology, Minna, Niger State.
57) West African Union University, in Collaboration with International Professional College of Administration, Science and Technology Nigeria, operating anywhere in Nigeria.
58) Gospel Missionary Foundation (GMF), Theological University. 165 Iselo road, Cele bus stop, Egbe-Ikotun, Lagos
In addition to the closure, the following Degree Mills are currently undergoing further investigations and/or ongoing court actions.
The purpose of these actions is to prosecute the proprietors and recover illegal fees and charges on subscribers.
1) National University of Nigeria, Keffi, Nasarawa State
2) North Central University, Otukpo, Benue State Campus
3) Christ Alive Christian Seminary and University, Enugu
4) Richmond Open University, Arochukwu, Abia State. Nigeria.
5) West Coast University, Umuahia.
6) Saint Clements University, Iyin Ekiti, Ekiti State Nigeria.
7) Volta University College, Aba, Abia State.
8) Illegal Satellite Campuses of Ambrose Alli University.
For the avoidance of doubt, anybody who patronises or obtains any certificate from any of these illegal institutions does so at his or her own risk. Certificates obtained from these sources will not be recognised for the purposes of NYSC, employment, and further studies.
The relevant Law enforcement agencies have also been informed for their further necessary action.