28th January, 2022
The Niger State Magistrate Court sitting in Minna has ordered that 53 suspects be remanded in New-Bussa Correctional Centre in Borgu LGA over their alleged involvement in bloody clashes and thuggery.
The suspects’ activities led to the killing of a police officer and a businessman last week Friday in Minna.
The suspects who were arrested by a team of security agents were on Thursday, January 27, arraigned before the court on a 10-count charge of culpable homicide, conspiracy, robbery and being in possession of weapons among others.
The offences violated various sections of the Penal Code law of the country.
Prosecuting Police Officer, Inspector Ahmed Saidu had informed the court that the offence is criminal in nature and cannot be tried at the magistrate.
He thereby urged the court to adjourn the case to another date to enable the police to forward the case file to the State Ministry of Justice for legal advice.
The presiding Magistrate, Nasir Mu’azu, adjourned the matter to February 21, 2022, for further mention.
He asked the police to immediately send the file to the justice ministry.
The Niger State Police on Monday, January 24 arrested twenty-eight youths in the onslaught against youth restiveness, thuggery and other acts of criminality in Minna metropolis.
The state Commissioner of Police, CP Monday Bala Kuryas said this in a press statement signed by the Public Relations Officer, PRO DSP Wasiu Abiodun in Minna.
Kuryas explained that a joint team of security personnel launched an aggressive raid and a house to house search, leading to the arrest of the 28 more persons in Unguwar-Biri, Bosso local government area of the state.
He said, “A joint task force comprised of the Police, Military, DSS, NSCDC and Vigilantes launched an aggressive raid and a house to house search on 25/01/2022 at about 0100hrs at Unguwar-Biri community area of Bosso LGA and arrested twenty-eight (28) additional suspects”.