6th February, 2022
By Salisu Sani-Idris
The Minister of Federal Capital Territory, Malam Muhammad Bello has said 100 per cent of the deaths experienced in the territory during the last few weeks as a result of COVID-19 were from those who were not vaccinated.
Bello said this while taking the booster shot of the Coronavirus vaccine in a message to residents of the territory.
The Minister also recounted his unpleasant encounter with the disease.
He expressed gratitude to God, that he took the first and second doses of the vaccine.
According to him, on Dec. 31, 2021, he tested positive for the disease.
“Even though I was told it was mild, I know what I experienced. Although I was not hospitalised, I was quarantined in my residence for three weeks.
“This is because subsequently, even after taking the medication, I tested positive twice. It was the third time that I got a negative result.
“If I had not taken the first and second doses, probably what has happened to many of my dear ones, would have happened to me,” the minister added.
Describing his experience, he said even though it was mild, the mildness of the disease was not pleasant, as it hit him in many directions.
“When I had it, no matter how strong I felt during the day, for about 15 to 20 minutes around 6pm, when I’m seated, I just drop asleep and then after 15 minutes, I’m able to wake up again.
” This is aside of the sore throat, the headaches and all the weakness you get, especially in your joints. I had to change my course of medicine after the first 10 days.”
Commenting on the other effects of the disease, the minister said “for three weeks, I was not productive.
” I didn’t go out of the house, I never had a chance to do my work and the multiplier effect was tremendous.
“Because even now, I’m just trying to cope, to clear all those files that I was not able to handle when I was under quarantine.”
Bello thanked the Federal Government for ensuring the availability of the vaccines for Nigerians.
He also enjoined residents of the FCT to get vaccinated because the vaccines indeed do save lives.
” I tell you, from the figures I get from our Public Health Department, 100 per cent of the deaths that we experienced in the FCT during the last few weeks as a result of COVID-19 were from those who were not vaccinated.
“So, the thing is that for those that are vaccinated, chances are that their cases will be mild, like my own case.
” My message to us is let us all get vaccinated. For those who have been vaccinated for the first and second dose, I advise them to go for the booster.
” I will take all the recommended shots because I don’t want to go through what I went through again.”
Also, the Secretary for Health and Human Services of the FCTA, Dr Abubakar Tafida, revealed that 433,000 people in the FCT had taken the first dose of COVID-19.
According to him, 286,000 have had the second dose and so far, about 12,000 have taken the booster shot.
Tafida said that since the Nov. 30, 2021, when he assumed office as the Secretary for Health, a total of 16 deaths had occurred as a result of COVID-19 and none of the victims had been vaccinated. (NAN)