19th June, 2022
The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), on Sunday, dismissed allegations of money snatching by the Corps’ electoral operatives during Ekiti’s Saturday governorship election.
There had been publications on some media platforms indicting NSCDC operatives of snatching money meant for vote-buying during the Ekiti election.
NSCDC Spokesperson, Mr. Olusola Odumosu, in an interview with NAN, said there was no collection or hijacking of any money belonging to any political party, their agents, or individual at the Ikere area of Ekiti.
Odumosu, however, said that two persons were arrested in connection with disrupting the state’s peaceful election.
“We arrested two persons; Tope Aderibigbe, known as ‘Say War’, aged 36, in connection with thuggery, and one 42-year-old Mrs. Oguntoyinbo Bilikisu for vote buying.
“They were both accosted at a polling unit in Ado Local Government Area and not Ikere-Ekiti Local Government as alleged in the report.
“The timely intervention of the Corps restored normalcy to the polling units,” he said.
He said that only a sum of N6,720 was found on the suspected vote buyer after a thorough search was conducted on her.
He further said that the suspects were later released in order not to deprive them after being accredited to vote.
The Spokesman attributed what he described as a ‘false report’ an attempt to cast aspersion on the image and credibility of the Corps.
“The NSCDC is a noble organization with credibility and professional orientation, hence, its personnel cannot be moved by any monetary inducement.
“We would report and return such illicit money to the authority if such a situation had arisen as has been done in other past elections in the country,” he said.