2nd August, 2022
American professional golfer Tiger Woods turned down a $700-800 million offer to join the Saudi-backed LIV Golf Invitational Series, according to Greg Norman.
The breakaway circuit’s CEO stated this on Monday night when he appeared in an interview with Fox News.
According to him, the offer was made before he was made chief of the controversial series, which is bankrolled by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.
Norman said “That number was out there before I became CEO. So that number has been out there, yes. Look, Tiger is a needle mover, right? So, of course, you’ve got to look at the best of the best. They had originally approached Tiger before I became CEO. That number is somewhere in that ($700-800 million) neighbourhood.”
Before the British Open last month, Woods stated that he disapproved of players’ decisions to compete in the LIV Series and likened the circuit, which offers massive guaranteed contracts and a 54-hole format, to the senior Champions Tour.
Woods said, “I believe that what they have done is that they have turned their back on what has permitted them to be in this position.”
Several well-known athletes, including Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, and Bryson DeChambeau, have signed with LIV Golf for the series, although 15-time major champion Woods has remained dedicated to the PGA Tour.