BREAKING: Trump raises Global Tariffs to 15% after Supreme Court Setback

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
World News

Explosion rocks Istanbul, six people dead, 81 others injured

Istanbul
Security and ambulances at the scene after an explosion on Istanbul’s popular pedestrian Istiklal Avenue, Sunday, Nov. 13, 2022. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco)

Quick Read

On Sunday, ambulances raced to the scene on the packed Istiklal avenue, which police had quickly cordoned off. The area, in the Beyoglu district of Turkey’s largest city, had been crowded as usual at the weekend with shoppers, tourists and families

Massive explosion rocks Istanbul, Turkey’s capital on Sunday leaving six people dead and 81 others injured.

The explosion took place at a busy pedestrian Istiklal Street in Beyoglu Square in Central Istanbul.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has described the attack as an act of terrorism.

On Sunday, ambulances raced to the scene on the packed Istiklal avenue, which police had quickly cordoned off. The area, in the Beyoglu district of Turkey’s largest city, had been crowded as usual at the weekend with shoppers, tourists and families, Aljazeera reports.

Also, Turkish Vice President Fuat Oktay said “We consider it to be a terrorist act as a result of an attacker, whom we consider to be a woman, detonating the bomb.”

Istanbul Governor Ali Yerlikaya in series of tweets said the blast occurred around 16.20.

“Today, at around 16.20, an explosion occurred in Taksim Istiklal Street in our Beyoğlu district. Our police, health, fire and AFAD teams were dispatched to the scene.

“There are casualties and injuries. According to initial reports, 4 people lost their lives and 38 were injured in the explosion that took place on Istiklal Street.

“Our wounded are being treated. We wish God’s mercy on those who lost their lives and a speedy recovery to the injured.”

He later gave an update, saying six people died and 53 others injured.

“Unfortunately, in the explosion that took place on Istiklal Street today, the number of dead increased to 6 and the number of injured to 53. We wish God’s mercy on those who lost their lives and a speedy recovery to the injured,” he said.

President Erdogan in tweets, said relevant “units of our state continue to work to reveal the perpetrators of this treacherous attack and the gatherings behind it.

“Let our nation rest assured that the perpetrators of this attack will be exposed with all its elements and punished as they deserve.

“I wish God’s mercy on our brothers who died in the bomb attack on Istiklal Street, patience for their relatives, and a speedy recovery to our wounded. Get well soon to our country, our nation, our Istanbul,” he said.

Comments

×