YemiThePlug: UPTH management orders autopsy

Popular social media influencer and blogger, Michael Odeyemi, alias ‘Yemi the Plug’

Popular social media influencer and blogger, Michael Odeyemi, alias 'Yemi the Plug'

By Okafor Ofiebor/Port Harcourt

The management of University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, UPTH, has ordered an autopsy on the remains of social media influencer, Odeyemi Michael Folurusho, also known as YemiThePlug who died on Tuesday.

The order followed controversies over the circumstances that led to the death of the blogger.

There were allegations that negligence by nurses as well as non availability of oxygen to administer on the blogger when he was rushed to the hospital after suffering asthma attack led to his death.

Some friends of Odeyemi have filed an online petition on calling for a total shutdown of the hospital over the alleged mismanagement of the case of Odeyemi at the hospital which they said led to his death

They said media influencer was rushed to the hospital at about 4 am Tuesday November 29, for emergency medical attention, but he was abandoned and with excuse that there was no Oxygen to use to treat him.

He was later confirmed dead about 6am.

But on the contrary the Management of UPTH said its preliminary investigation revealed that the victim was rushed to the Accident and Emergency of the hospital dead.

Nevertheless, friends and neighbours of the deceased had blocked the UPTH gate on Tuesday. They were argued that Odeyemi would have been alive but for negligence of the Staff at the the Nurses at Accident and Emergency Ward.

Related News

The management of the Hospital while expressing sympathy to the the friends and family of YemiThePlug on Thursday acknowledged the controversies.

The Acting Spokesman of UPTH,Elabha Meni, in a statement said the hospital witnessed a large turnout of friends who have been asking about the circumstances which led to the death of the influencer whose real name is Odeyemi Michael Folorunsho

The Chairman of Medical Advisory Committee, UPTH, Prof. Lucky Onotai said that the report he got from the Head of the Nursing Unit was that the patient was brought to the Accident and Emergency Ward of the hospital dead.

“As it is procedural in an apex hospital like ours, a panel will be set to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death not the patient. There will not be any coverups.”

However, students of the institution also complained that they have lost not a few fellow students due to delays based on insistence of nurses on duty that the IDs of the patient and certain amounts of money must be deposited first before treatments are administered.

It has been gathered that the 24-year-old late blogger was the only son of his mother who is a Deputy Director Nursing in UPTH.

Journalists were unsuccessful in trying to extra reactions from the deceased family. His only sister and the other members of the family were still in shock and grieving on Thursday when journalists attempted to speak with them.

They asked to be left alone to mourn their loss.

Load more