2nd June, 2023
By Michael Adesina
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Friday confirmed the appointment of George Akume as the Secretary to the Government of the Federal.
Below are quick facts about the new SGF.
1. George Akume was born 27 December 1953.
2. He was the Minister of Special Duties and Inter-governmental Affairs under the President Muhammadu Buhari administration.
3. He was the Minority Leader of the Senate from June 2011 to June 2015.
4. Akume was also the Governor of Benue State from May 1999 to May 2007. Under the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), he was the first Governor to have completed two terms in office in Benue State.
5. Akume was re-elected Senator for Benue North-West in the April 2011 elections, running on the platform of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN).
6. He won another term in 2015 but lost to Senator Orke Jev of the PDP in 2019.
7. Akume obtained a bachelor’s degree in Sociology and a master’s degree in Labour Relations from the University of Ibadan.