Man. United survive penalty shootout to set up FA Cup final against Man. City

Bruno 1

Bruno Fernandes scores from the penalty spot

By Kazeem Ugbodaga

Manchester United defeated Coventry City 4-2 on penalties on Sunday to set up an FA Cup final against rival, Manchester City on 25 May.

Coventry City had come back from 3-0 down to equalise and forced the match to extra-time, which did not also produce any goal.

Shootouts were needed to decide which team go into the final to meet City.

Earlier in the 23rd minute, United opened the scoring. Dalot made a great overlapping run before receiving the ball from Garnacho.

He then whipped a perfect firs-time cross down the corridor of uncertainty which Scott McTominay met in the six-yard box, and he tapped in the ball.

One minute into first half added time, United made it 2-0. It was a heartbreak for Coventry on the stroke of half-time as Harry Maguire headed in United’s second.

Maguire was left completely unmarked as he planted a fine effort into the bottom corner.

Related News

In the 59th minute, Garnacho led a swift United counter, shifting the ball out to Rashford, who ran into traffic and lost possession.

But Bruno Fernandes picked up the baton, fashioned a yard of space to get a shot away, and found the back of the net with the help of a wicked deflection to make it 3-0.

Coventry pulled one back in the 71st minute after Ellis Simms swept Tavares’ cross past Onana at the near post.

Coventry added the second goal in the 79th minute. Simms broke down the left, held up play superbly before squaring for Callum O’Hare.

He tried his luck from 20 yards and his strike took a huge deflection off Wan-Bissaka before looping into the far corner.

Five minutes into added time, Coventry equalised in one of the greatest comeback in FA Cup history.

Coventry complete the most miraculous of turnarounds from three goals down as Haji Wright sent Onana the wrong wrong from the penalty spot, sparking scenes of sheer jubilation in the Coventry end.

Load more