President Trump: TikTok sale to be revealed “in two weeks”
President of the United States, Donald Trump, has revealed that a buyer has been lined up to acquire TikTok’s operations in the country, saying full details will be made public in “about two weeks.”
Trump made the statement during a Fox News interview on Sunday, where he hinted that the Chinese government would have to approve the deal.
“We have a buyer for TikTok,” Trump said. “I think I’ll probably need China’s approval, and I think President Xi will probably do it.”
Pressed to name the potential buyer, Trump declined, saying only: “It’s a group of very wealthy people. I’ll tell you in about two weeks.”
Back in January, a new law came into force requiring TikTok to either be sold by its Chinese parent company, ByteDance, or face a ban in the United States over national security concerns. But despite the legislation, enforcement has been repeatedly postponed—largely due to Trump’s own extensions.
So far, Trump has signed three separate orders delaying the implementation. The most recent granted ByteDance a 90-day grace period, pushing the deadline for the sale to mid-September 2025.
The delays, however, have sparked confusion and speculation over TikTok’s fate in the US market. While Washington has insisted on cutting ties between the app and its Chinese roots, Beijing has warned it may block any deal involving TikTok’s proprietary algorithm, which powers the app’s viral content engine.
In April, a near-complete deal that would have handed control of TikTok’s US arm to American investors fell apart after Trump introduced a new wave of tariffs against China. The trade tensions immediately impacted the negotiations and led to further stalling.
ByteDance has since acknowledged that no agreement can proceed without China’s blessing. The Chinese government has indicated it considers TikTok’s core technology a national asset and would resist handing it over.
Still, President Trump remains upbeat about keeping TikTok active in the United States, stating that his aim is not to destroy the platform but to ensure it operates under “safe and friendly” ownership.
“We want to keep TikTok alive,” he said. “But we want it done the right way.”
With the September deadline fast approaching and no deal confirmed yet, it is uncertain what lies the fate of TikTok on American soil.
Comments