Victims of 55-Day Lagos property siege urge IGP not to return case to zone 2 command
Quick Read
Barr. Femi Isikalu, counsel to the victims, described the case as “a litmus test for the Nigeria Police Force,” warning that returning the file to Zone 2 could damage public confidence in the Force’s commitment to justice.
Residents and business owners affected by the 55-day police blockade of a multi-property compound in Oregun, Lagos, have appealed to the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) to ensure that their case is not returned to the Zone 2 Command, Onikan, which they accuse of complicity in the incident.
The appeal follows the IGP’s intervention on July 28, 2025, which ended the closure of 15 residential units and the popular ₦50 million Paradox Restaurant at 10, Kudirat Abiola Way.
The property had been sealed by officers of the Zonal Monitoring Unit (ZMU), Zone 2 Police Command, led by CSP Taofiq Sanni, on June 4, allegedly at the behest of suspected land grabbers.
Speaking through their lawyers, Goldrush Partners, the victims said any return of the matter to Zone 2 would “compromise the integrity of the investigation” and amount to “a miscarriage of justice.”
“Our experience at Zone 2 was one of manifest bias, unlawful enforcement of a misrepresented court order, and total disregard for constitutional rights,” the statement read.
“We have no confidence in the ability of Zone 2 to handle this case impartially.”
Property owner Engr. Olufemi Fasehun alleged that despite a subsisting Lagos High Court order directing all parties to maintain the status quo in Suit No. ID/11239LMW/2021, the ZMU team locked out homeowners and shut down the restaurant without a lawful order, causing massive financial losses and displacing families.
The victims are demanding:
Immediate suspension of CSP Sanni and implicated officers.
Full disciplinary proceedings under the Police Act, 2020.
Criminal prosecution of all alleged land grabbers linked to the incident.
A permanent bar on Zone 2 Command handling the matter.
They further urged the IGP to allow the Force Headquarters Monitoring Unit, which reopened the premises and took over the investigation, to conclude the case.
Barr. Femi Isikalu, counsel to the victims, described the case as “a litmus test for the Nigeria Police Force,” warning that returning the file to Zone 2 could damage public confidence in the Force’s commitment to justice.
“This matter is bigger than a property dispute, it is about whether law enforcement will protect citizens or be used as a tool for private interests,” he said.
Comments