BREAKING: Suspect shot dead inside Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Secure Perimeter named

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
Headlines

Two dead, nine rescued in Sokoto’s third boat mishap in a month

Sokoto State records another fatal boat mishap, the third within this month, with two persons dead and nine rescued by emergency workers
NEMA officials, others at the scene of the boat disaster

Quick Read

The latest incident occurred at Jaranja river in Shagari local government area of the state, NIWA Area Manager in Sokoto, Mr Bala Bello said.

By Habibu Harisu

Sokoto State has recorded another fatal boat mishap, the third within this month with two persons dead and nine others rescued by emergency workers.

The latest incident occurred at Jaranja river in Shagari local government area of the state, the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) Area Manager in Sokoto, Mr Bala Bello said.

He confirmed that two persons lost their lives, while nine survivors were rescued in the incident that occurred on Friday afternoon.

Bello attributed the boat disaster to negligence, canoe overloading and safety rules violation.

He explained that a rescue team that comprised officials from NIWA, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and Red Cross Society had been deployed to the scene.

Bello said the team confirmed the casualty figures while search and rescue operations were ongoing to locate the missing persons.

The Area Manager reiterated that NIWA had been engaging riverine communities on safety measures, guidelines, use of life jackets and other considerations on water usage.

Recall that the Sokoto State Government confirmed the death of four passengers, 41 survivors and five missing persons in a boat mishap on Aug. 17 at Kojiyo Village in Goronyo Local Government Area of the state.

Another incident occurred on Aug. 22, at Faji Community in Sabon Birni Local Government Area of the state, while the present incident was the third within the month.

Speaking at the scene, Malam Tukur Abubakar, the NEMA Head of Rescue and Rehabilitation, said search and rescue operations were ongoing in order to locate the missing person.

A resident, Malam Abubakar Jabbi from La said nine 9 persons were rescued by local divers, one body recovered while a female body among the boat passengers is still missing.(NAN))

Comments

×