BREAKING: Trump raises Global Tariffs to 15% after Supreme Court Setback

Follow Us: Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
LATEST SCORES:
Loading live scores...
World News

Warning! Your phone will go off this Sunday – UK government confirms

UK flag
Mixed USA and UK flag, three dimensional render, illustration

Quick Read

The test, scheduled for 3:00 pm (1400 GMT), will reach most of the country’s 87 million mobile phones and tablets.

The United Kingdom will conduct a nationwide test of its emergency alert system on Sunday, September 7, with tens of millions of mobile phones expected to emit a loud siren and vibrate simultaneously.

The test, scheduled for 3:00 pm (1400 GMT), will reach most of the country’s 87 million mobile phones and tablets.

According to the UK government, the alert will last for about 10 seconds, accompanied by a message stating that it is only a drill.

Officials explained that the system is designed to strengthen national resilience in the face of increasing risks such as extreme weather events and global security threats, including Russia’s war in Ukraine.

Pat McFadden, the minister in charge of the alert system, told BBC Radio that testing is essential. “Just like the smoke alarm in your house or the fire alarm in this building, it’s important to test these things now and again,” he said.

To minimise disruption, the government selected a time with fewer scheduled events, noting there will be no top-flight men’s football matches due to international fixtures. However, officials acknowledged the alert may interrupt private events such as weddings, funerals, and birthday parties.

Since its launch, the system has been used five times in the last two years, including during Storm Eowyn in January when 4.5 million people in Scotland and Northern Ireland received life-saving alerts. It was also activated last year after the discovery of a 500-kilogram unexploded Second World War bomb in southwest England.

The alert system is reserved for emergencies where lives are at risk, such as severe weather, public safety threats, or other national crises. Alongside mobile notifications, warnings may also be broadcast on television, radio, and through door-to-door alerts when necessary.

The UK joins countries like the United States and Japan in adopting such systems. However, only mobile devices connected to 4G or 5G networks will receive the September 7 alert.

Comments

×